Thursday, January 6, 2011

Canadian Health Insurance; Medicare or Private and which private companies are best?

Right now I am on my father's work insurance plan. I turn 21 in January and will no longer be insured under his plan. I work full-time, am not a student right now, am a non-smoker, but my problem is that I've been diagnosed with depression and a slew of other mental health problems, so I take a lot of prescription medication. I also have scoliosis and see a chiropractor on a regular basis. I called up Manulife insurance, which used to be my insurer a few years back, and I was basically told that I would be refused under their FlexCare policy because of my depression. I would probably be accepted under their FollowMe plan. My question is; Would I be better off getting my own plan with a private company, or should I just stick with regular MediCare? Will they cover my drugs? If I should go with private, which companies are best? Thanks a lot!
--------------------
Unfortunately, our government health care plan does not cover drugs. Note that the Canada Health Act does NOT cover drugs. Although, some provinces may offer some assistance for some people in various socio-economic groups. The two most common carriers I quote for clients tend to be Manulife Financial and Desjardins Financial. I find both of them flexible in underwriting depending on the situation. Work with an Advisor in your city/town, and see what he/she can do. Personally, I find that if I speak with the carrier's marketing/underwriting consultant before I submit the application, I am better able to position a case to the carrier for a more favourable decision for my client. Its likely there could be some exclusions added to the contract, but it doesn't hurt to apply to find out.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment