Saturday, December 4, 2010

When you get a personal injury settlement, does part of it go to reimbursing your health insurance company?

For example, I went through physical therapy due to injuries sustained from an auto accident. My health insurance company paid for the physical therapy. Once the claim is settled, will part of the amount of the settlement be used to reimburse my health insurance company for the physical therapy?
--------------------
Depends on your health insurance policy wording and whether or not they make it a practice to seek reimbursement. They may have already put a lien on the settlement. This is not something we can answer for certain, you will have to find out from your HEALTH insurance company. In my claims experience the only companies I saw try for recovery were government (medicaid and medicare) or self-insured companies.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment