Monday, November 1, 2010

What do you pay in health insurance premiums per year?

If you work full-time, how much of the cost is paid by your employer? Are family members covered in your health insurance policy? And, are you experiencing yearly increases of health insurance with less benefits. Is the cost of health insurance affecting your personal budget or standard of living? Anything else you might like to add would be appreciated.
--------------------
I now pay $3500.00 a year on my own, but I'm high risk because I have an unusual illness with a history of surgery. When I bought a medical insurance package for my business, I was surprised to discover that I would have to find a high risk carrier for myself. Everyone who worked in my business was covered except for myself. My premiums increase about 12% every year. I don't gripe too much because I know medical costs are out of this world. My husband does contracting for a business which has group coverage, and the part he pays for me is about $150.00 a month, so $1800.00 a year. Having both is what works out best for me because they overlap. We just received a notice this week that they will increase $25.00 a month. From time to time, there will be a struggle with both insurance companies over who is going to pay what. Last year, they bickered back and forth for about ten months. I finally contacted my state's attorney general insurance investigators to take care of the matter. It was amazing how fast the medical bills got paid after that. I'm growing concerned over what's in the future for my family. My husband recently developed a new problem related to his time in military service. He is a Vietnam veteran. He was shocked to find that Bush has cut medical benefits to any veteran who has not been using them. My husband hired an attorney to get those benefits reinstated, and that has not happened yet. My son's employer provides no benefits whatsoever, and I don't like that, but I try to not be a meddling mother. I've discussed having him placed back on my business coverage (he was dropped when he turned 21). It's not affecting our budget greatly yet, but I'm worried about what retirement is going to be like with our economy and the extreme increase in costs.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment