Friday, November 12, 2010

I need to get health insurance for my dog and two cats. Do you have any good suggestions?

My dog and two cats are like my children. I will do and spend whatever I can so they are in the best health and live a long time with us. However, vet bills are really expensive so I am thinking about getting pet insurance. Does anyone have any experience in this area and are able to shed light on which programs provide good coverage?
--------------------
We have our policy with Pets Best and love it! Highest limits ($7000 per accident or illness) and none of this benefit schedule stuff where companies will only pay a particular amount for certain procedures. They sell themselves as a straight-forward 80% reimbursement after the deductible, and I've been hearing good things about them online from other people so feel very confident in the choice we made. I chose the lower deductible ($75) so as to get the most back each time we go to the vet, and I took the advice of other pet owners online and made sure to sign our Aussie up before any problems start showing. (Just as with human health insurance, things that are considered pre-existing are either not covered, or only covered at a certain amount.) We felt like we were getting the best bang for our buck with Pets Best and had heard very negative things about pet insurance in general based on some of the other companies. That was like throwing the baby out with the bath water for us. Not insuring our pets was like not insuring ourselves, as far as we're concerned. We've been through too much with previous dogs to think that the insurance isn't worth it. and p.s. don't listen to the nay-sayers who say that it's silly to insure your pets. They obviously haven't experienced high vet bills the way we have! Fiscally, it just makes sense to have the insurance. I'd have to save for more than 15 years to come up with the $7000 that is available to me with my insurance policy right now. Hopefully I'll never have to use that, but it's available to me if we need it (and I've only spent $70 on the insurance so far -- very worth it!).
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment