Monday, November 15, 2010

Do health insurance companies think the average person is a moron?

I am having a tooth implant. My insurance co. won't pay a nickel for it. They say it is not a necessary procedure since there are alternatives even though I had to sign a statement with my dentist that included the clause 'I understand this is a necessary procedure in my case because alternatives could jeopardize the health of my entire tooth structure.' Then I noticed my dental insurance pays for preventative oral cancer screening. I asked their rep whether that was a necessary procedure since obviously it's not, since it's preventative. The rep gave me some b.s. answer. Then I said, "why don't you just admit you won't pay for the implant because it's expensive?" The rep said, we don't pay for dental implants because they are not covered in our policy." Duh. That's Illogic 101. Do insurance companies really think we are that stupid?
--------------------
Well it is not that people working in dental insurance companies are any different than the people working in health insurance or life insurance or car insurance companies. It is just that the dental insurance per se does not make much business sense these days, so it needs to be augmented with exclusion clauses in the policy, with waiting periods, and annual limits. This annoys the dentists and the consumers as the question illustrates. There are more sensible alternatives to dental insurance that make more business sense and are basically based on negotiating or pre-negotiating lower costs for the participants.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment