Saturday, November 20, 2010

Can an employer cancel your health insurance while you are out on a disability?

I recently had rotator cuff surgery (6) weeks ago, currently in therapy and my employer said they are dropping the company health insurance. I have not been released by my doctor to return to work as of yet can they cancel my insurance while I am still under a doctor's care?
--------------------
Not sure how big of a company you work for or what type of work that you do but did you receive any type of a handbook or any paperwork that describes your benefits? Did you file any paperwork before you went on your leave? There is the Family Medical Leave Act which you can find out more about from the link below. If your employer is covered under this law then I don't believe that they can but you will have to contact the US Department of Labor or your company's human resources department to find out.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment