Saturday, June 4, 2011

I need only a month of coverage. Health insurance options?

I am getting married on August 7th, when I will be removed from my parent's insurance. On September 14th, I can enroll in my university's health insurance plan. But what are my options for that 5-week period between the two? I don't want to go without, and also my husband-to-be is in the same situation. Thanks!
--------------------
You have a couple of options. First, you may be able to apply for a short-term health insurance plan. Short-term plans are designed for precisely this sort of situation and typically provide coverage for 1-6 months at a time. The drawback with short-term plans is that they only provide you with "catastrophic" coverage. That is, they don't cover things like pre-existing medical conditions, prescription drugs or preventive care services such as checkups. They do provide a level of protection for things like unexpected hospitalizations, however. Another option you may wish to consider is a standard individual or family health insurance plan that could cover both you and your husband long-term, instead of enrolling in the university plan. Some students find that buying their own individual or family plan provides them with better benefits at a lower or comparable cost, and it may give you more freedom to see the doctors you prefer to see all year long (vs. only during the school year). Compare the costs and benefits of your university's health plan with those for individual or family coverage to see what makes the most sense for you. A licensed health insurance agent (online or in your area) can help you find the right short-term or individual or family health plan for your needs and budget.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment