Saturday, May 28, 2011

Question about health insurance and maternity?

Ok, I have insurance, but me and my fiance are getting married soon and I want to get on his insurance. I am working two jobs, and would really like to quit the one that I have insurance at since I make more at the other one. My question is, that I am already pregnant, so do you think that his insurance will cover my pregnancy? I know some of you will say no because it is a pre existing condition, but my mom and several friends have told me that in the 90's most insurance companies did away with pre existing condition rules. I know that some sitll have them, which is why I am calling tom. to find out. I think that his insurance is Blue cross blue sheild. What do you guys think?
--------------------
If you enroll on his policy after the two of you get married, your pregnancy should be covered. (Assuming that he has group health benefits that cover maternity, of course.) Your mom and friends are incorrect in saying that pre-existing condition rules have been "done away with." However, they likely wouldn't apply to you in this case. (Being that you currently have coverage and will be moving from one insurer to the other...presumably with a brief, if any, break in coverage.) When I was pregnant with my oldest, I quit my job and had to enroll on my husband's benefit plan. We never had a problem with having coverage for the pregnancy. (Well, in hindsight, I ended up owing more money b/c my husband's policy had higher co-insurance and deductible. But the pregnancy was still covered according to his benefits.) Your husband-to-be should be able to call his insurance company and verify that information with them, by the way. I used to have to answer questions like that all the time when I worked for a large health insurer.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment