Monday, May 30, 2011

how do you deal with not having health insurance?

What do you do for emergencies, a nail went through my hand from an nail gun.
--------------------
Because my husband is self employed and I work in a small office niether of us have health insurance as well. I have seriously thought about getting a policy for just us, but it is so expensive. I have found that when we don't have insurance (I have had it in the past w/2 other employers) we don't really use it that much. So what we do is have a special savings account just for medical emergencies. I put $25 or so in the account a week, if hubby makes a little more on a job, then I add more. Then if we need such things as ER visits, Dr's visits, or prescriptions, I pay for it from that account. That way then I know I am paying for what I am using. But the downside to this is that some physicians don't take cash customers. But remember that most hospitals (I don't believe private hospitals have to) have to treat you regardless if you have insurance. I dont know where you live, but you may be able to apply for Medicaid as well. It is easier to get Medicaid for children, but if you have children 18 and under living in your home, then you are eligible as well. Also, remember that you can make payments to the hospital. I have done this in the past and as long as you pay something and keep doing it, they are happy!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment