Friday, March 25, 2011

How much does a history of smoking affect health insurance rates?

I smoked moderately (1 pack every 3 days) for about ten years. I quit two months ago. I'm 27 now. I've been uninsured for eight years and I want insurance. I feel healthy...but you never know. I might tear my ACL working out or something crazy like that. Do I have a fighting chance, or is the insurance company going to sock it to me because of ol' puffy?
--------------------
smokers rates a slightly higher and they usually ask if you smoked in the last 12 months. So at this point you would still be considered a smoker. I suggest you use yellowpages.com to search for health insurance brokers in your area. Don't call your auto and home agent they specialize in property and causality insurance. You need someone that specializes in health insurance. A Broker represents multiple carriers and can help you sort through all the different insurance companies and plan options in your state Tom Z, in group health insurance everyone gets the same rate. But I write individual health insurance everyday and the rates are certainly higher for smokers.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment