Friday, January 7, 2011

How do I use Health Insurance?

Say I have my health insurance card and I go to a doctor. How do I use my insurance card? Do I still have to pay, then get reimbursed by my carrier or do? Or do I just show them my card and not have to pay anything, aside from a co-pay or something? Thanks
--------------------
Call your agent with this question because it depends entirely upon what type of plan you have. Generally and most commonly, you present your card to the doctor's office along with the co-pay. If you have an HSA you won't pay anything until the provider has claimed with the insurance company. If you have a PPO and you are going out of network most likely you'll have to pay first then get reimbursed unless the doctor office is willing to bill the insurance. If you have an HMO and are out of network you'll have to pay the bill because the insurance company will not pay unless it's an emergency. If you have an indemnity it will depend upon whether the provider will bill the insurance company. There are many more IF'S so it's best to call your agent.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment