Friday, January 14, 2011

Can a person manage with NO health insurance? Or is this too scary?

I am 45 and currently have medical insurance. However am thinking of canceling it because I simply cannot afford it any longer. I am in good health and (I kid you NOT) did not have one medical visit for 2 years now. No meds either. I keep it in fear of something happening but then I figure $400 x 12 months? That would be 5K extra to help with other bills. Any input would be appreciated!
--------------------
Hi. Just wanted to share what happened to me last year. My husband lost a really good paying job when the company went out of business. They paid for insurance for the next 3 months, then after that it was so expensive for me to get it on my own ( $500.00 a month ), i figured i would just not get it. I haven't went to the doctor for the last 10 years, and i was in good health, so i wasn't worried at all. One month after going without insurance i started to lose weight very quickly for no reason. I dropped to 90 lbs. and was worried, so i went to the doctor. He felt a hugh mass in my abdomen, and sent me for a CT. Sure enough, it turned out to be cancer. With no insurance, i cannot get treatment, so i sit here everyday knowing i have cancer, and there's nothing i can do about it. Not getting insurance was a hugh mistake, which i now regret deeply. Your health is worth more then having that extra money. You never know what is going to happen ( i'm a good example of that ). I would never want somebody to go through what i have been through. By the way, i'm the same age as you are, and was healthy until now. Keep your insurance. Take care.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment