Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Why do I have to pay for my health insurance when I was hurt at work?

I was injured at work on May 5, 2007. I have been out of work since then collecting workers comp. I recieved a letter in the mail saying if I dont repay the past insurance expenses it will be cancelled. I dont really care about myself but I have four little girls. I'm divorced and it is court ordered that I keep health insurance on them, I'm about 1500 dollars behind. What can I do?
--------------------
Well, your employer has no obligation to pay your health insurance premium after your terminated, or even if you're on leave. You still have to pay it. His workers comp insurance will keep paying for the medical related to your injury, however. You've got a tough choice. Pay the premiums, or get cancelled. I have no idea where you're going to scrape up $1500. If it gets cancelled, you can try to get your kids signed onto your state Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP). The income guidelines are more lenient than regular welfare (Medicaid) insurance.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment