Sunday, November 28, 2010

Should I keep my health insurance statements of benefits?

Every time my health insurance pays a claim, I get a statement in the mail that shows what the charges were from the doctor and what the insurance company paid on those charges. I have a stack an inch thick from the past 2 years. Is there any reason I could keep these statements? If I need to keep them, how long should I keep them?
--------------------
They are a necessary document if you find that a provider suddenly decides to send you a bill, or god forbid, to collection. I like to keep mine filed according to provider, attached to the corresponding statement from the provider-but I'm retentive! That way I make sure that all providers are paid and paid correctly. I would keep them for 5-7 years (cause that's how long the statute of limitations for collection are in most states).
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment