Monday, August 29, 2011

Can I stay on health care insurance plan if I'm 19 and not dependent?

I am 19 years old, I live in tennessee. The only insurance I currently have is tenncare. My parents are also covered on tenncare. I am no longer going to be considered dependent though, and I would like to know if I can stay on tenncare because my parents have it under the new healthcare law. I know if you are a child you can stay on your parents insurance until age 26 now, but does that apply to tenncare? If anyone can help, thanks.
--------------------
TennCare is welfare health insurance. Once you turn 19, you "age off" off it. It's not a "dependent" thing. It's not subject to the same rules as a private insurance plan through your parent's employer. The 26 law, is only for REAL insurance, not welfare insurance. With welfare insurance, once you turn 19 and "age off", you have to apply for yourself.
Source

1 comment:

  1. One of my friend is also confused about this fact. I am sure this post will help him. I will do refer the link to this article now. Thanks for giving this great advice.
    company insurance

    ReplyDelete