Friday, July 22, 2011

Are health insurance companies making more medical decisions today than in the past?

Do you know anyone who has been short changed on medical care because of an insurance company?
--------------------
Actually, some suit in a chair is making medical decisions that doctors should be making. In my case, I take medication for blood pressure and my doctor wants me to take an ace inhibitor to help protect my kidneys (i am diabetic also). Well, I had a mild allergic reaction to ace inhibitors about 10 years ago, so my doctor prescribed another class of drugs that works similar to ace inhibitors and protects my kidneys. The insurance company won't pay for it because the next "step"on my drug regimen was the ace inhibitors and I skipped that step. Even though my doctor has written to them that I am allergic to the ace inhibitor, they want me to try a different ace inhibitor before they will pay for the other drug. My doctor is afraid that I will have a worse reaction than before so won't prescribe this drug so I am paying $77 a month for a drug rather than the $10 co pay. Fortunately for me, the doc is writ ting my rx for a high strength and I take 1/2 tablet so the scrip lasts longer.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment