Monday, June 20, 2011

Are there any programs to help you with back bills if your Health insurance cancels you?

Why aren't they required to refund the money you paid for it if they didn't provide you the service? Is there anything that can help with back medical bills? I wasn't cancelled because of anything serious, just something I didn't realize I was diagnosed with-PCOS-wasn't on my app. It wouldn't have prevented me from getting the coverage. So what can I do?
--------------------
The only way you'd get your premium back would be if they had never paid out any medical claims for you. Otherwise, they deduct the value of what you paid in from the claims that they take back. (So, technically, you are "getting back what you paid in," because it was taken away from the bills you're going to have to pay to your medical providers.) And no...there aren't any programs that I'm aware of to help with past medical bills under that circumstance. You're just going to have to work out payment plans with your providers. This is why its important to disclose absolutely everything on an insurance application. PCOS definitely would have been relevant to your insurer...either they wouldn't have issued you a policy to begin with, or you would have had a higher premium due to your medical status. I don't say this to be offensive, but technically not disclosing something like that on your application is insurance fraud (whether you intended to deceive the insurer or not). That's why you'll have a tough time finding a program to help you with the back bills. Sorry. :( (And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this might also make it a little harder for you to get coverage right now...unless you get group coverage through an employer, of course.)
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment