Sunday, March 27, 2011

How do I get Travel/Health Insurance in Vancouver on a working Visa?

I am moving from Australia to Vancouver in August, obviously I will have my normal travel insurance, but since I will be in vancouver for 2 years on a working visa - I would be looking at getting something alot cheaper than travel insurance. What would be the best option for me? I thought about just getting travel insurance for the first month or 2, then once I am settled down look for a cheaper option. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
--------------------
The government health care plan in BC is called BC Medical Services Plan(BCMSP), and their website will have info on whether or not you would qualify for it, or at least you can email to ask. Even if you qualify, there will be a waiting period of between 2 and 3 months after you apply before it comes into effect so be sure to have travel medical insurance in place during that time. If you don't qualify for the government plan, there are private companies who will sell you medical coverage. Pacific Blue Cross is one, Great West Life is another.
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment