Monday, February 21, 2011

How will marriage affect my health insurance? (insured under parents)?

I'm getting married in the spring. I know that I will have to change my health insurance, as I will no longer be a dependent on my parents. However, how soon will this change occur? Is it immediate, or will I have a few months under my parents' insurance, or what? I'm getting surgery in the spring, and need to make sure that I will be covered by the same insurance, as parents have BC/BS and hubby is in the army.
--------------------
Basically, your health insurance effectively ends the day you get married. However, in practical terms, it ends the day your insurance company decides to check you out and see if you are still eligible and finds out you are not. With an expensive procedure, odds are they will check. I wouldn't risk that not being covered - find a plan for you and your hubby to be now!
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment